Friday, November 4, 2011

Gratitude

I'm not good at consistency with my blog, as you might have noticed.  Last year I tried to blog every day in November about what I was grateful for.  I made it maybe six days.  Not that I'm ungrateful.  Just inconsistent.

But the lovely Three Thinking Mothers are only being grateful once a week this month.  I can do that.  Here goes:

I am grateful that I was given hands to help others and the means to do so.  Wednesday evening my boys and I went downtown to serve dinner at a homeless shelter.  Their Boy Scout troop takes responsibility for this twice a year, but this was my first time going.  Actually, my first time ever working at a shelter.  I'll be back.  The picture is just a few of the lasagnas I plated that night.  I didn't take other pictures, just because I didn't.

Since this is a once-a-week post, let me add:  I'm grateful for a wonderful Boy Scout leader who pours his heart into leading these boys, and for the numerous assistant leaders.  They provide so many opportunities for the boys to camp and do things I'm not crazy about.  We tend not to do those things as a family because the girls and I are, well, girls, and we like warm water and flush toilets.  Plus I love knowing the boys are part of a group of really nice young men.  Thank you, Danny McCranie!

The innumerable blessings that allow me the luxury of providing food for others, the time and transportation to get there, the home I get to go home to while these men sleep on a mattress in a gym, a life that (so far) has not led me into circumstances where I would need a mattress on a gym floor...grateful.  A good way to start the month.

Linking up:  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cheryl - I can imagine that was a wonderful thing to do with the boys. I would love to get downtown and volunteer in Redeemer's Soup Kitchen with Anna in the next year or so.

I'm so glad you linked up - I'm trying to be intentionally grateful for all of the many blessings we have. :-) You are one of those - I'm glad you're my friend... homeschooling and otherwise!

~Mary

Cheryl said...

Thanks, Mary! At least one of the kids and I would love to tag along if you go to Redeemer. And you KNOW I'm so glad to have you to bounce things off of. You are so much more help than you know. Have a great weekend!

Theresa said...

Thanks so much for linking up! Nothing is better than helpful kids. I am thankful for moms that encourage their children to help others!