Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Were you curious?

Here's the book I was readingFrench Cooking in Ten Minutes a Day.  This remarkable little book was written in 1930 by a physician who decided that French cooking wasn't all that.  It was just about the freshest, most delicious ingredients possible, while always remembering how flavors will combine.  No braising, baking or roasting here, but great ideas for pan-frying and sauce-making.

I'll share one great piece of advice Dr. Poulaine gives:  as soon as you walk in the door, put a pot of water on to boil.  Why?  Well, you don't know yet, but chances are you'll need it for something, and you'll never get your meal made in ten minutes if you have to wait on the pot of water.  This is something I've started doing, and it works!  I almost always need it for something.

Now, the reason there is no picture is that I have lost the book.  It is somewhere in my house but I don't know where.  This is the second thing this week I've lost.  Sunday I lost my phone and I just don't know what to do.  It's out of power (of course) and I've retraced all my steps.  How long do you go before you get a new one?  I wanted a new iPhone but not this way. 

No comments: