Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Still here, just choking on drywall dust.

Why, hello.  Haven't been around much these days.  I see I've missed not one but TWO weeks in review.  I think I can get to those in a bit.  Grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair.  Here's what's been going on:
Imagine the computer perched on that cabinet to the right...

This is what it looks like at my computer!  We are in the throes of a total gut/overhaul of the kitchen and laundry room, which led to re-doing the family room--it's all kind of one big area so it just made sense anyway.  But the electrician had to rewire many things in this area and now my Monster Powernet seems to not be working. 

What is a Monster Powernet?  You are going to be so glad you asked.  It makes your house ETHERNET.  ALL of it (theoretically).  WITHOUT wiring.  It rocked my world for about five months. 

You run an ethernet cable between your router and the Powernet box, and plug the box into the wall.  Then, wherever you want in the house, plug another Powernet box in, and run the ethernet cable from it to your device--computer, Apple TV, whatever.  Voila!  Instant Ethernet!

But my pretty iMac should have wireless, right?  Ah, that is where you would be sadly mistaken, as I was.  It turns out that Mac desktops purchased in 2011 and 2012 have a KNOWN software issue that means that Wi-Fi is almost useless.  I am not kidding.  The thing blinkers out about ten times an hour, making it impossible to actually do anything on the Internet.  I discovered this after hours upon hours with Apple Tech Support and having a new Wi-Fi card put in. 

This issue almost makes me want to swear off Apple computers.  Until I use my kids' Dell.

The Powernet doesn't work across junction boxes, apparently.  Or something.  I think in rewiring my house the electricians split something up so that I could no longer get wi-fi in my sewing room, where the computer lived.  So my ethernet quit.  However, moving my computer so that I could hardwire it into the router solved my problem.

Kind of. 

I have to move the computer every morning before the workers get here.  And I have to set it back up at night.  And I have to sit in our construction zone to use it.

Most of my time on the computer is spent on my photography class.  I want to share some of what I'm learning, but it will keep.

Right now I have to go get a son who is at track, getting ready for the middle school State Track Meet!  Woo hoo!  And then dinner and all the evening busyness.

I'll be back.  I can't live in a construction zone forever.

Can I?

1 comment:

Mary Prather said...

so, now you need to blog and show us the progres.... ahem.