Saturday, July 12, 2008

Creative Pursuits


I have a real interest in developing creativity, both as a personal pursuit and as a therapeutic technique. I know from my own experiences that developing your creativity is all about becoming more of who you really are (that Oprah phrase "your authentic self") I really believe there are tools to use there that can help anyone, whether you want to write a book or a blog or just look at your life with a little different viewpoint.


One of my gurus is Julia Cameron, author of The Artist's Way. The picture above is from a seminar I got to go to in Arizona, where I met her. (That's my girlfriend who came with me, and Julia's in the middle. I'm the tallest one.) Anyway, I came across this article from Scientific American Mind a couple of days ago. When I saw the title I thought, "Well. Wonder how this fits in with Julia's ideas." And lo and behold, she is one of the experts!


The article is worth a read, just to get different takes on what a creative life looks like. And here is one of my favorite questions from Julia's teaching: What would your eighty-year-old self tell the you of today? I'll give some of my answers if anyone else wants to post in the comments.

No comments: