Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Is the inexperience showing?


Sen. Obama met with President Bush yesterday. To me it seemed like, all of a sudden, he looked way more inexperienced that I expected.  I find it a little scary--like all of a sudden Obama and his aides realize that this isn't theory anymore, these are Americans' lives and futures at stake.

The avalanche of changes that were floated surrounding this meeting has the feel of a bunch of amateurs right now--people who are still operating with an incomplete data set and yet aren't aware of it.  For example, the closing of Gitmo.  There aren't any clear, good alternatives, but he's most likely going to close it because of pressure from the ACLU and other parties.  (And on that link, I don't know that I've ever heard the ACLU called a "human rights group" before.  Just sayin'.)

Another thing:  this leak concerning an auto bailout.  There were only two people in that office, and I just don't think it was the President who went out and started talking.  This kind of thing smacks of inexperience, almost as if Obama doesn't realize that everything he says now has a weight he could never have imagined before.  It really worries me because it plays into that "oops" mentality he's shown before.  I'm afraid that the next time it will be a national security issue.  You know, as I write this, I'm realizing that the markets ARE a national security issue.  I hope he learns really, really fast.


UPDATE:  Cyrus, in the comments, calls this "dog chasing the car syndrome."  Yes!  That's exactly it.  Also, here are Joan Didion's comments, the "unexpressible uneasiness." (That Joan Didion post via Instapundit, and I also saw Althouse commented on it.)

1 comment:

ZipperTPartee said...

OK, obama's a cool customer but you'll never convince me that he's not goin through the dog chasin the car syndrome. He's been chasin this car (Presidency)for 2-3years (his whole adult life maybe), now he caught it and has his jaws wrapped around that big steel bumper wonderin what do I do now?

What's wrong with closing Gitmo. It'll just put 250 of the lowest of the low scumbag terrorists into the good ole U.S. court system where they will have about a 50/50 chance of getting a liberal judge and an 80/20 chance of getting an idiotic jury..........need to go my optimism is waning.