Saturday, June 21, 2008

Back to School

I started this blog with the idea that I would create a picture of my trip back to school to pursue a calling to be a counselor. (A calling and also a way to make a little money...shoe money!) But I haven't really mentioned it since that first post. I had to register for classes recently, though, and that was a really out-of-body experience. So of course I want to share it.

It has been almost 15 years since graduate school the last time, and longer than that since undergraduate. Back in the day, I only had my schedule to worry about--did I really want to take that 8 a.m. calculus class? If I took an extra class this quarter, then maybe I could finish sooner. These days, though, I have five other schedules to worry about: after-school activities, school events, work trips, and various volunteer things my husband and I are both involved with. So, I sat down to look at class schedules.

This was real, concrete. More definite that submitting an application, more definite than going for an interview, even more definite than going to orientation. This meant that I will be in class, studying and participating, for a set schedule. In the case of one class, attendance is mandatory, absolute and for every class. Did I really want to choose the afternoon Tuesday class? How about a twice-a-week option? At least that one meets during the kids' school hours. And how many classes? Can I handle three classes, or should I stick with two?

After many years of my time being my own...actually that is an illusion. But I'm consciously taking back time for myself and then handing it over to a school program. And probably the most important part of that sentence is that I'm taking back some time for myself, with real obligations and a set schedule. Not stolen moments in the morning, or an hour or three for dinner with my husband. This feels very different than that, staking a claim to a definite part of my week.

We'll see how this goes. I haven't PAID for these classes yet...

No comments: