Thursday, October 9, 2008

Weddings and Kids

My cousin got married last weekend in Beech Mountain, N.C.  Congratulations, Kellie and Jared! Her husband is a wonderful man and has a really delightful family.  We had a great time getting to know each other over the short two days we had together.

My cousin was gracious enough to include all the kids (my four, my sister's three) as guests at the wedding.  They had so much fun! They loved seeing the beautiful bride and bridesmaids, the cake, and the band.  And what a fun way to introduce them to the corny tradition of tapping the glasses to get the bride and groom to kiss.  I thought Kellie and Jared were going to need some chapstick by the end of the evening! I know the kids' ideas of romance and love and princesses (for the girls) have been permanently affected.  My DS (10) was even invited to dance by one of the bridesmaids--huge props to her, since he was absolutely glowing for the rest of the evening!

I also loved that it was important to Kellie to include all of the family at this event, a milestone that we ALL got to share with her.  Somehow including (well-behaved) kids in a fancy event like this livens things up--the event in no way revolved around them, but it was fun to get to see the wedding through their eyes.  My favorite moment was when Kellie and Jared first turned to face each other, on the deck of the country club, overlooking a patchwork quilt of autumn color and surrounded by friends, family, and clergy.  DD4 looked at me, squinched up her nose, and stage-whispered, "This is so romantic!"

Yes, baby, it sure is.

No comments: