Tuesday, May 8, 2012

In which I answer Monday's question, and pose a new one.

So, my crazy back.  This is the psoas muscle:


It starts at the lower back, travels through the pelvis and then ends at the top of the femur.  It is extraordinarily difficult to get to, which explains why I am having a hard time icing it.  However, based on descriptions of the pain I am pretty sure this is what has been ailing me.

I found some reasonable information from "alternative" healers, but since all the advice was relatively consistent I think it is probably correct.  (This site is a good summary, but I clicked around a fair amount.)  I actually have started doing some of the relaxation techniques and they have already helped enormously.  I also took a walk with D and one of the dogs today, and I sat as little as possible.  Sitting seems to aggravate my problem.  I even walked after riding my horse tonight.

In case you have back pain, you should be aware that the psoas is implicated in a lot of problems, and I had most of them: lower back pain, pain in the front (where you might otherwise think you had appendicitis!), pain radiating down the front of the thigh, and also mid-line back pain.  Not fun.  I may be on to an answer here for me, though.  A couple of days ago I actually said to P that I couldn't do something because "my back is killing me."  She rolled her eyes and told me I sounded like I was 85 years old.  I don't like feeling like that!

Okay--back pain is truly not my favorite topic, and I can't stay away from current events for long.  Tonight's question:  Two Fridays ago in the weekend document dump that this administration seems so fond of, there was a sum of money that had been freed by the Obama Administration to go to the Palestinian Authority.  Congress had previously banned any dollars going to the PA.  What gives?

No comments: