Saturday, May 19, 2012

Week in Review, 5/19/12 edition

The last full week of school is behind us.  Next week are exams for the big ones, parties for P, and wrap-ups and deciding our direction for D.  But here is what we did:



Since we had finished D's math book, we are continuing math using Khan Academy, one of my most favorite resources.  Here's D using the newly-refreshed MacBook while I try to sew (in the top picture).  She moans about Khan but then loves it once she starts.  She actually asked to keep going on one section so she could finish a badge.  Khan used to have something called the "streak bar" on the problems pages, and it counted how many problems you got right in a row.  That made her paranoid to guess or try a harder problem.  They've moved away from that and I am so glad!  Thanks, Khan!

Those are fried biscuits in the bottom picture--ELEPHANT EARS, since we just read about Hannibal marching the elephants across the Alps. Hot fried dough rolled in sugar and cinnamon? Yes, please!

Some other happenings from our week:  Here are the boys, today, out on the deck.  They were readying their airsoft guns for their first-ever party.  I hate these stupid guns--I enjoy shooting but I don't think aiming a gun at a person and pulling the trigger is a game.  I am still not sure what I think.  I will say that J got a huge boo-boo on his cheek, just outside of his safety mask, from a pellet today.  He is thinking that he prefers laser tag.  Me, too.

Bill is continuing to take riding lessons.  Here he is, on his second ride of the day, riding one of our boarder's horses.  She is out of town for the week and asked that her horse be exercised.  Bill was eager to oblige!

D with her read-aloud book, reading to me on the deck one day.  Our weather has been nothing short of spectacular lately.  We have enjoyed sitting out and reading so much.  The book is Roald Dahl's Matilda.  Love!

We ended the week with P's end-of-year chapel.  This picture is from near the end of the one-hour-and-forty-five minute assembly.  Do you know the passage in Revelation that talks about the kings surrounding Jesus' throne in Heaven, and the kings all cast their crowns at Jesus' feet?  Well, all the kids wrote great accomplishments they'd had this year, "flashes of heaven" as their principal said, on paper crowns that they wore to chapel.  At the end of the chapel, they all walked up and left their crowns at the feet of the throne set up at the front of the sanctuary.  I like so much the idea of recognizing great things throughout the year as flashes of God's glory, and then giving them back to Him as we head out to the summer.

Finally, here's my Meringue skirt, from the pattern in The Colette Sewing Handbook.  I love the fabric, with the little cream thread in it.  I also love the scalloped hem.  Apparently my dogs liked that part, too.  I don't love the fit--I think I will need to grade down from one size at the waist to a smaller size around the hips.  I have never had to do that before!

Our memory verse this week:
Clap your hands, all you nations;
Shout to God with cries of joy.  
For the LORD most high is AWESOME (you have to shout that word!), 
The great King over all the earth.  (Psalm 47: 1, 2)

Have a great week!  I'll be back tomorrow ruminating on facelessness and what that means as a Christian. Meanwhile, check out this great post.  A Facebook friend linked to this discussion about reaching your children in their chosen language.  Love this and can't wait to use it.

No comments: