Saturday, May 12, 2012

Week in Review, 5/12/2012 edition

The school year is drawing quickly to a close.  The week didn't go exactly as planned, with D getting sick, but we definitely enjoyed the quiet evenings.  That all changes next week when M starts (ahem) football practice.

We spent a fair amount of time at the farm.  The weather was amazing and made just being at the farm delightful.  Friday we even picked P up from school early to take an afternoon ride.  Bill is starting to ride, including taking lessons, and there he is stealing my horse away.  That wonderful horse is my newer horse, Roman.  He is a Percheron/Tennessee Walker cross and is an absolute love.  Everyone pets him at the farm.  But he is MY horse, and apparently I need to guard him jealously.

D's school is starting to wrap up.  We finished her math text and are basically done with grammar.  We continue to do parts of speech with various other assignments, like memory verses.  But history is huge, and we remain in Rome.  This is one of my favorite projects all year, building a Roman road.  Very clear and a fun, effective lesson.

We were supposed to take a field trip to see a friend who just graduated from college.  Her senior exhibit (she's an art major) was at a gallery, and we were also going to visit and go to lunch with her and some other homeschool friends.  D woke up that morning with a 102 degree fever, though, and we had to cancel.  What a bummer.  She did feel well enough to sew later--the topic of an earlier blog post this week.

The very next day I ran across this fun blog.  The math in it is exactly what we had done to decide how big to make her pillow top.  The author is right--math is so much more effective when you are using it in real life than when you are faced with a big page of equations.

We ended the week at the lake.  We haven't been since January, I think.  I don't have any pictures because it is raining.  We did a little poking around in the shops in town, and have had a generally lazy day.  Not what we expected but it is a nice break to be here.  But I am having to blog on my husband's PC rather than my wonderful Mac and it just doesn't feel right.  Now that is certainly a first-world problem!

I hope you have a great Mother's Day tomorrow.  If you aren't lucky enough to have your mom around, you probably know someone who is a great mom.  Tell her!  I AM lucky--not only do I have my wonderful mom, I even live in the same town with her.  As a matter of fact, I just realized that I pretty much take her for granted because I don't even have a picture to post.  Need to fix that.

This week's memory verse:  Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth.  Proverbs 10:4

No comments: